Sunday, September 7, 2008

Heino's Garden



I had a chance to do a little biking with some colleagues after work Thursday night. After taking a "shortcut" that led us through a working sand quarry, we climbed a hill and found the real road to Heino's garden. Heino and I have done a fair bit of biking around the Goitsche See in Bitterfeld but tonight we were just south of work in a little town call Ramsin. I don't know if it's common all over Germany, but at least in the former GDR people were encouraged to grow at least a portion of their food themselves. Garden plots with small garden houses are still popular here and work schedules in the summer are still set so that people can be out of work with plenty of daylight to work in their gardens. My friend Heino is much more of an astronomer than a gardener and bought his garden spot because there is very little light there that interferes with his telescope work. After visiting the garden we had a beer in the local community center decorated with wild boar mounts and skins and German hunting paraphernalia. The off to a Greek restaurant for dinner. At 11:30 in the evening, I biked several kilometers down a very dark road back to the factory where my car was parked. Thankfully another colleague lent me his very bright bicycle light and I made it without incident.

No comments: